Launched in June 2018, IGTV aka Instagram TV was created by Instagram to change the “social video landscape” forever. It’s a long-form video channel designed to create a truly mobile video experience on social media. Regular Instagram users can make videos up to 10 minutes long for IGTV channel and verified users can make up to an hour-long video.
While most of the video streaming channels like YouTube have landscape video formats asking users to rotate their screens for a complete experience. Instagram decided to make its video channel fully compatible for mobile viewers.
The great move was inspired when Instagram learned that mobile videos will account for 78% of the mobile content by 2021. Another motivation behind launching IGTV was the massive success of Instagram stories and influencer marketing on the platform. IGTV channel was made to bring creators closer to their audiences with longer videos.
However, despite the stats and the idea, IGTV had a slow growth in terms of adaptation and usage. Let’s learn the reasons of the slow adaptation of IGTV, how to use IGTV and the latest additional features of the IGTV channel.
Reasons for Slow Adoption of IGTV in 2018
Both brands and creators have been slow to create content for IGTV because:
- Creating Long Videos Needs Time, Money and Expertise
Everyone could actively create long 10-second videos for their Instagram stories because it was easy to do so. But, creating high-quality video content that’s more than a couple of minutes requires video creating and editing expertise, additional expenses and time.
- Lack of Usage of Vertical Videos on Other Platforms
Most of the brands do not have time to create content for each platform, especially video content. Long content that brands would create for IGTV could not be used on other social media channels and websites.
- Searching Relevant Videos on IGTV is Hard
You know how you can just go on YouTube and search for “funny dog videos” and find thousands of those in your search list. IGTV search doesn’t work that way. Instead of showing relevant videos, they show channels relevant to your search term. This is annoying as a viewer as you would have to open each channel to find the right video.
Why IGTV Videos are Surging in 2019
The slow growth of IGTV has made Instagram improve the core functionalities of the channel and make it more user-friendly. This, in turn, has made users more interested in the IGTV and escalated video views. Here are the new features that have been added to IGTV:
- IGVT now Supports Horizontal Videos
With the first launch of IGTV, viewers could not rotate the phones to watch horizontal videos in full resolution. But, with several complaints and requests, Instagram enabled IGTV to support both horizontal and vertical videos.
- Users can Share 1-minute Previews of IGTV on Instagram feed
Making anyone use IGTV was difficult because people were too hooked to their Instagram feeds. Hence, Instagram launched a feature that allows creators to share a 1-min preview of their IGTV video on their profiles and feeds. This made millions of people click and watch IGTV videos. Additionally, the process of content discovery got much easier for both creators and viewers.
How to Create an IGTV Channel:
Given that IGTV is rising and it’s a good time to invest in your IGTV channel, here are the steps to create your IGTV Channel:
- Go to your Instagram app and click on the IGTV icon at the top right.
- Click on the + icon at the top right to add your video
- Select the video you want to publish, and click Next. Then, select your preview image.
- Add title and description to your video.
- If you wish to post a preview, toggle on the preview button. You can’t select this option later, so make sure to turn it on now if you want. You can also share your video to Facebook here.
The process to upload videos to your IGTV channel is fairly simple. The tricky part is to get the video resolution right, hence, remember the points below while creating your video:
- Video Length: Between 15 seconds to 10 minutes for regular Instagram users. For verified users, video length is 15 seconds to 1 hour.
- Video Format: MP4
- Aspect Ratio: 9:16 for vertical videos and 16:9 for horizontal videos. Remember the preview shown on the profile is shown as 1:1.
Create your First IGTV video now:
From how-to tutorials about product usage to behind-the-scenes, you can post anything on your IGTV. So, get on board and make the most of it to connect with your followers and improve your reach on Instagram.
Make sure to check out our tips on creating the perfect strong marketing video.