Instagram ads have tremendous potential and are gaining popularity over time. There are more than 2 million monthly advertisers on Instagram, thus making it one of the most leveraged platforms for advertising online.
Instagram ads can be used by anyone who currently uses Facebook ads or social media ads for promoting their business. If your target customers are using Instagram then it becomes mandatory for you to use Instagram to promote your business. Instagram ads become the faster way to reach a more targeted audience and increase your Instagram following along with sales.
What do Instagram Ads look like?
Any post on Instagram with sponsored written under it is an Instagram Ad. Businesses use Instagram ads for promoting their websites, installing apps, increasing conversions, building site traffic, gaining brand awareness, and more!
How to create Instagram Ads?
There are two ways to create Instagram ads:
Using the Instagram app
Creating ads from the Instagram app is the most convenient option if you do not use Facebook Business Manager or Power Editor. You can only create sponsored posts through the Instagram app. The ads are limited in terms of selecting campaign objective and audience selection.
But, it’s really simple to use.
To create ads using Instagram app, you have to make sure that your account is a business account. You can switch your personal account to a business account from your profile settings.
Here’s the step-by-step process of creating Instagram ads from the Instagram app:
1. Click on Promote button next to your Instagram profile picture.
2. You will be asked to select a post that you want to promote. Once you select the post, you have to select the campaign objective – Get more traffic or reach people near an address.
3. Once you select your objective, you will be taken to the next page to select your budget, audience, duration, payment. Preview your ad once you confirm all the details!
This will create your ad using the Instagram App. But, it’s suggested that you only create ads with the app when your laptop is not accessible or you are unable to create ads through Facebook. Because creating ads through Facebook gives you more options to control the ad and create better Instagram ads as you will learn below.
Using Facebook Business Manager or Power Editor:
Creating Instagram Ads with Business Manager (Facebook) is going to give your more targeted traffic and better utilization of your money. You can be more creative in creating ads here. Facebook allows you to select from multiple campaign objectives and also create Instagram Story Ads.
Types of Instagram ad that you can create using Business Manager:
- Image Ads
- Video Ads
- Story Ads
- Collection Ads
- Carousel Ads
Instagram ads are created in the same way as you create Facebook ads except for a few changes:
1. Select the campaign objective by choosing from one of the objectives below. You can click on Help: Choosing an objective if you’re unsure of which adjective to select for your ad.
2. Next, select your campaign name, create a split test if required, and create your audience.
3. After creating your audience or selecting an existing audience, the next step is to manage your placements. When you select placements, make sure that Instagram is selected. Select both feed and stories if you wish to display your ad on both Instagram feed and Instagram stories.
If you want your ad to run only on Instagram, then remove other placements. If you want your ad to only run on Instagram stories, then under Instagram select Story and uncheck others.
4. Next option is to optimize your ad delivery by setting the bid type, ad scheduling, and delivery type. Also, set your budget and schedule.
5. The last step is to create your ad by adding the ad image/video/carousel and add the heading, tagline, and link. Make sure to preview your ad for Instagram before finalizing your ad.
Examples of Successful Instagram Ad Campaigns:
Brands have been making the best use of Instagram ads to reach a wider audience and gain popularity. Here are the two best examples of 2019:
GAP created Instagram ads with Instagram stories with full-screen vertical videos. They created engaging with pop music and dance videos to influence the millennials. With their engaging stories’ ad, GAP saw a 73% increase in their click-through rate compared to their previous Instagram ad campaigns.
- Ashley HomeStore:
Ashley HomeStore leveraged collection ads to increase their sales and traffic from Instagram. Their “Learn More” CTA took the users to a mini-catalog of all their products and increased the add-to-cart by 9.7%.
Following the steps above can help you create your perfect Instagram ads within minutes. Experimenting with your ad sets and creating split ads can give you the perfect ad that would bring you maximum conversion. If you have any questions, please let me know in the comments below.