How Much Do You Overpay for Influencer Marketing

Anna Komok

Anna is the Head of Marketing and PR at HypeAuditor, the most accurate and in-depth Instagram and YouTube analytics tool on the market. She is passionate about influencer marketing and Instagram analytics.

All influencers are not created equal, and neither is their compensation.

We’ve already talked about the most common pricing model among influencers — pay-per-follower. According to this model, an influencer gets anywhere from $5–10 per 1,000 followers.

Unfortunately, most influencers ask to pay only for their number of followers, but not for the number of real followers.

Let’s say that we have an influencer with 635K followers and an Engagement Rate of 1.55%. This is an average ER for accounts with the same follower’s count and the usual price would be $5 per 1,000 followers or $3,175 per sponsored post.

If we check an influencer’s audience at HypeAuditor Instagram analytics report, we find that only 48% of the influencer’s audience is real. The other 52% won’t see your sponsored post, interact with it, and make a purchase.

Audience Type metric at HypeAuditor Instagram Report
Audience Type metric at HypeAuditor Instagram Report

So, the reasonable price for this sponsorship would be $1,530. And if you pay $3,175 you will overpay $1,645 that could be used for one more sponsored post.

Why Checking Engagement Rate is Not Enough?

As we’ve mentioned before, if an influencer has a high ER, they will ask you to pay them about $10 per 1,000 followers for a sponsored post. But high ER could be fake too.

For an influencer with 635K followers, it’s ok to have about 30% of suspicious activity (likes and comments from mass followers and suspicious accounts), they receive it without their own will. In the example below, we have an excellent engagement rate of 10.49%,

Instagram Engagement rate
Engagement section at HypeAuditor Instagram Report

…but HypeAuditor shows that more than 54% of the activity is suspicious.

$10 per 1,000 followers is not a reasonable price in this case, because the real ER is twice lower.

Always check your influencer beforehand with HypeAuditor.

Comments are closed.