With the help of the HypeAuditor Competitor Analysis tool, you can collect and analyze all posts with a specific Instagram brand account mentioned.
We have collected all the posts by Instagram influencers mentioning the @flattummyco account that were made in June 2021.
Let’s take a look at how Flattummyco is advertised with the help of influencers.
Flat Tummy Co, an online retailer, company that had built its brand selling so-called “detox” teas.
The company is the ultimate Instagram brand success story:
Indeed, Instagram is such a crucial factor in Flat Tummy Co’s value that when the company was sold for $10m in 2015, its “significant social media presence” was highlighted in a press release ahead of actual assets or sales figures. Armies of “influencers” – including Kim, Khloe and Kourtney Kardashian and Kylie and Kris Jenner – promote its products to their followers.
The tea was reportedly formulated to treat Bec Polmear’s (one of the founder) “digestion and bloating”, and they manufactured it in their home garage in Australia with ingredients purchased from a local herbalist.
Flat Tummy Tea debuted on Instagram on 14 June 2013.
“We promoted our tea through influencer marketing which has become the main engine of what we do,” explains Tim. “Back then, influencer marketing wasn’t all the rage. Today, it’s far more commercialised”.
“We got Healthy Always from New Zealand to promote our tea via her social channels to more than 100 000 followers. We had 17 orders in an hour and thought we’d struck gold. Then we started incentivising through payment. We’ve now done it thousands of times and refined the algorithm we’ve generated, meaning we can predict sales before even collaborating with influencers. We had year on year growth of 700 per cent while owning and running the company.” Ted Polmear explained.
From there, the company started paying Instagram influencers and built an algorithm that could predict a model’s sales potential, Polmear said.
In interviews with the Guardian, two former Flat Tummy Co employees described the process by which the company flooded Instagram with thousands of paid-for posts.
Each week, they were tasked with identifying and contacting between 150 and 200 new influencers, with the goal of getting 50 to 60 of them on board for a series of four promotional posts each. The ideal model was a woman with at least 100,000 followers.
“They had a rating system, depending on how ‘on brand’ you were,” explained one of the former employees. “You don’t want someone who already has a six pack. You want a mum who is on her fit journey trying to lose weight after having kids.”
African American and Latina models were prized because their posts “converted” well into sales, while models were downgraded if they were too “slutty” on the assumption that their followers would be mostly male.
“If someone is a little bit bigger, they get a higher rating than if someone’s skinny,” one former employee said. “No one is going to a listen to a skinny white girl say that she bought this tea and it’s great.”
The former employees said they were pressured to keep the cost of influencer posts down. While the Kardashians reportedly earn six-figure fees for their Instagram ads, the influencers that the former employees worked with were “lucky to get $25 to $50”, one of the former employees said. “You basically had to cut them down and say, ‘You’re not worth that much money.’”
Once an influencer agreed to the deal, the staffers would direct how their photos should look and write a copy for the captions: “We never expected them to actually use the tea. It just had to look like it.”
Flattummyco Influencer Marketing Strategy
Time period: June 2021
Estimated campaign budget: $233K
Estimated campaign reach: 10.9M
- The majority of influencers are Mid-tier influencers (60.8%) with 50K to 500K subscribers.
- Of the 670 posts, 648 contain #ad, which is a very good ad disclosure rate.
- On average every day there were 22 posts with @flattummyco promotion in June.
- 20% of influencers made 3 posts with Flattummyco mention, 39% of influencers made 2 posts with Flattummyco mention in June.
- Influencers who posted ad posts with Flattummyco mention are women between 18 and 34 years old, those most oftenly post in categories LifeStyle, Fitness and Beauty.
- 38% of posts were removed by influencers sometime after being published. Most likely, Flattummyco doesn’t negotiate with influencers about keeping posts in influencers’ feed forever. Chances are, an influencer can delete a post a few days after it was posted.
- Most of the posts were made at 9pm from Tuesday to Friday.
- On average posts receive 223 likes and 6 comments.
- Almost all posts are additionally promoted through the oficial Instagram advertisement cabinet.
Flattummyco Instagram sponsored posts content
The majority of posts are images (77.5%) , 12.4% are carousels with few photos and 10% are videos.
Any content (carsul, video, picture) usually shows the influencer’s selfie in sportswear along with the product.
Flattummyco Instagram sponsored posts copywriting
The texts have the same style and a common structure: emoticons, writing some words in capital letters.
On average, the text does not exceed 200 characters.
One would assume that the brand has guidelines for writing posts for influencers, but since we found dozens of posts with exactly the same text, we are most likely talking about the fact that brand copywriters provide influencers with ready-made text.
The main advertised products are:
- Apple Cider Vinegar Gummies.
- Detox Tea.
Post copywriting is as simple as possible. As a rule, it contains three main blocks:
- Unique value proposition.
- Method of using the product.
- Call to Action.
Apple Cider Vinegar Gummies
UNIQUE VALUE PROPOSITION
- benefits include things like better energy, reduced appetite between meals, glowing complexion.
- gives me all the benefits of ACV without the nasty taste.
- my appetite is under control, my energy is high, and my skin looks AMAZING.
- my bloating under control, my metabolism boosted AND gives me a little extra energy every day!
- Apple Cider Vinegar gummies are delicious, GF, Vegan, Non GMO, and designed to support my digestion.
- These help to maintain a healthy gut, support weight management, and improve energy.
Method of using the product
- with only 2 a day I get the same benefits I would with drinking ACV.
- I’ve been taking 2 of these antioxidant packed gummies a day.
Call to Action
- Grab some now while they’re Buy 1 Get 1 Free off at get.flattummyco.com/shop
- Get started today while they’re on sale at; get.flattummyco.com/shop
- Pick Some Up Today At get.flattummyco.com/shop
- perfect time to try them out while they’re Buy More, Save More at get.flattummyco.com/shop.
UNIQUE VALUE PROPOSITION
- My energy is high and my bloat is gone already!
- tea has really reduced my bloating drastically!
- this tea help reduce bloating, but it also boosts my energy.
- This tea is truly my fav way to kick bloating so that I feel my absolute best.
- Detox Tea is JUST what my body needed. My energy is high and my bloat is gone already!
Call to Action
- Get involved with me at get.flattummyco.com/shop.
- BUY ONE, GET ONE FREE right now at.
UNIQUE VALUE PROPOSITION
- I can’t get over the fact that I’m drinking chocolate yet feeling INCREDIBLE!
- Trust me, this shake program has everything we need to get back into shape and see progress in our tummy area!
- I can’t get over the fact that I’m drinking vanilla yet feeling INCREDIBLE!
- They’re packed with all the key nutrients our bodies need to build lean muscle.
Call to Action
- I’ll totally be restocking ASAP at get.flattummyco.com/shop.
- BUY ONE, GET ONE FREE right now; get.flattummyco.com/shop.
- Save More get.flattummyco.com/shop. Also the shakes are buy 1 get 1 free.
We could find a few posts with identical description. More than 50 influencers have posts with the same description. This suggests that influencers do not describe their personal experience of using the product, but used text provided by the company’s copywriters.
What can you learn from Flattumyco Influencer Marketing?
Influencer outreach. The company works with over 300 influencers every month. The company has a well-tuned Influencer outreach process.
Show the product. All posts with ads should contain the advertised product.
Buy more – pay less. The company negotiates with influencers for several posts at once. This approach attracts more attention to the product from the influencer audience and makes it possible to negotiate a discount for placement with influencers.
Official Instagram advertising. The company promotes posts by influencers through an Instagram advertising account. This approach makes it possible to reach a new audience (not just the influencer’s followers) and demonstrate to the new audience “social proof”.
Ad disclosure. Of the 670 posts, 648 contain #ad, which is a very good ad disclosure rate. You should be disclosing sponsored posts properly when you’re working with influencers.
Be simple. Promotional text is simple. Contains Unique value proposition and Call to Action.
What Flattumyco could have been done better?
Posts should have different text.
It is unacceptable to post the same text on behalf of different influencers. It becomes clear that this is an advertising text, and not the personal opinion of an influencer who has tried the product and shares his impressions with his audience.
Agree on the timing of posting.
38% of posts were removed by influencers sometime after being published.
Better approach to the influencer vetting process.
Better approach to the influencer vetting process. 67% of influencers have a low Audience Quality Score.
Overall, the company is doing an excellent job and can serve as an example of how to use influencers to advertise dietary supplements.
One of our experts will get back in touch with you soon.