Are you losing it because your Instagram account got hacked? Just keep calm because we are going to learn the exact steps that can help you recover your Instagram account.
If your Instagram account got hacked, it’s important to know how your account got hacked along with the recovery steps. The Internet is filled with thousands of help articles on how to hack an Instagram account. This makes it very important for every Instagram user to be cautious of using the third-party apps or logging-in to your app on public devices.
There could be several ways how your account could be hacked. In some cases, you might still be able to access your account. While in some cases your password would be changed to restrict login. In the most severe cases, the hacker might even change your email hence making recovery a little harder. Let’s look at each of the cases and how to recover your account.
Recovering a Hacked Instagram Account with no Username-Password Changed:
This would be the best case scenario. If you notice some unknown chats or unusual behavior on your Instagram account, then your account could be hacked temporarily. If you can still login to your account, do the following:
- Immediately change your Instagram password to something very strong.
- Check your Instagram access to third-party apps and remove the apps you do not trust.
- Logout of all your devices and keep your phone closeby.
Recovering a Hacked Instagram Account with Password Changed:
If the hacker has changed your password but your email is still valid, then follow these steps:
- Open your Instagram app and on the login page, click on “Get help signing in.”
- Enter your email address or phone number that’s linked to your account. You can login with your Facebook if you connected your Instagram account with your Facebook account.
- Enter the 6-digit security code you’ve received on your email or phone and click “Confirm.”
- Next, change your password and revoke access to any third-party apps to secure your account.
Recovering a Hacked Instagram Account with Email/Username/Password Changed:
If the hacker has changed all your above login credentials, then you need to take the following steps to recover your account:
- If the hacker must have attempted an email change, then you would have received an email notifying the email change. Open that email and click on “Revert this change.” This might help you to login again by using the steps above.
- If none of your login info is working, then on your Instagram login page, click on: “Get help signing in” and follow the on-screen instructions. Instagram will contact you on your email.
- Instagram will ask you for a photo proof where you’re holding a paper with a handwritten code provided by Instagram. Along with this, you will also be asked to give your email address/phone number and the device used.
- On submitting the information above, Instagram will contact you to verify your account details and get your account started.
The Hackers are Everywhere
The hackers have been attacking brands and celebrity Instagram accounts as well.
Foodpanda Singapore was recently highlighted in the news because of a hacked Instagram account that has been sending lewd messages to their customers on Instagram.
Also, recently, an Indian director, Ali Abbas Zafar had his Twitter and Instagram account hacked. The accounts have been in the process of being fixed for a couple of days already.
Getting your Instagram account hacked can be dangerous and thus, it’s very important as an Instagram user to use the app carefully and wisely. If you’ve successfully recovered your Instagram account, please share your experiences in the comments below.